Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Fourth of July!

Today was so much fun! I am firmly convinced that Colonial Williamsburg is the best place to be on the Fourth of July. My morning started with getting dressed the colonial way - first a shift, and right on up to my nice blue dress. My friends Savannah and Sophie helped lace me into it, and then we set out for a day on the town. We met up with some more people, and almost everyone had something colonial about their person, from hats to fans to skirts, etc. We walked in to Colonial Williamsburg, and ended up following the fife and drum corps as they made their way around the town. When their performance ended we went to the book store for lunch (and I am sure that a few civilians posted pictures of my struggles to get on the escalator without letting my dress touch it). After our early lunch, we went back down to the Capitol Building, and waited for the reading of the Declaration of Independence. There were many cries of "Huzzah!" and lots of cheering, and when it was finally read everyone got goosebumps. After much cheering for our freedom, we followed the fife and drum corps back up the street, and then hurried back to the college.

Once we were back on campus, there was a screening of the musical "1776". It was such a great movie to watch, and was made even better by the fact that I was surrounded by a bunch of fellow history nerds! (If you haven't seen the movie, I suggest that you watch it! Here's my favorite song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlXJa1dQPw&feature=related   The very beginning and from 5:56-end are my favorite parts)

The evening ended with lovely fireworks!






No comments:

Post a Comment