Friday, June 29, 2012

Recap of Today

Today was such a busy day! My morning started very early, and after breakfast we loaded up the vans and drove to Richmond! Our first stop was at Monumental Church, and we got to go downstairs to visit the crypt where all 72 victims of the Richmond Theatre Fire are buried. It was a neat experience to be able to see that (and fairly claustrophobic!), but I became quickly fed up with people claiming that glare from other's flashes were ghosts. Our tour guide was wonderful though, and it was such a pretty church.



After Monumental Church, we went to see John Marshall's house. It was a very nice house, and done in the Federal style. Everything was tall, straight lines and sweeping arches. We heard a lot about Marshall's history, and I really enjoyed seeing all of the little details that were present in the house. Currently, the museum that runs it is trying to raise $65,000 in order to preserve his robes, because the dye is eating away at them. It makes me feel so sad when I think of all of the important artifacts that are out there that aren't getting the attention and preservation they need because of a lack of funding. :(



Following Marshall's house, we went on to tour the John Wickham house. Wickham was a judge in Richmond, and lived literally down the street from Marshall. His house was done in the Neo-Classical style, and it was absolutely amazing! Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take pictures in either one of the houses, but hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to find pictures on the internet of my favorite features of the houses. An interesting fact about Wickham was that he was actually a British supporter, even following the Revolutionary War.

We returned to Williamsburg for lunch, and then had class. After making a trip (taking an adventure) to the bookstore, stopping along the way to play in sprinklers, we headed to our evening lecture, which was on the dig that we'll have the opportunity to go on tomorrow! It was fascinating, and I can't wait to get started. We'll be digging on Fairfield Plantation, and the site that is currently being worked on is right between the house and the kitchens (and in the shade!) which sounds to me like a great place for a dig!

Well, I have a big day tomorrow, so I should probably get my sleep. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Your insights have roots in knowledge and the first-hand experience of your adventures. Having just finshed, Killing Lincoln, I'm fascinated by your description of things in early American Richmond. Just listed to commentary on the 4th of July that described the southern Cavalier class -- your wealthy elite. The commentator explained that 4 groups made up the early US those Cavaliers, the Puritans, the Quakers and then the northern Scots-Irish. He made the case that all sought freedom -- at least for their own groups -- and that what makes our freedoms so robust is that these four groups had to compromise and see that the only way they could all have their freedom was to be tolerant of others. I simplify, but only because I like the notion so much. Go bravely into the past!

    ReplyDelete