Thursday, June 13, 2013

Side Pannier Hoops - More Undergarments!

So, recently I have been on an undergarments kick. I know that sounds really strange, but without the proper foundations, historical clothing just doesn't look quite right. Actually, the whole issue of having proper undergarments, as well as some really cool history on underwear, is explained in a podcast from How Stuff Works - Stuff You Missed in History Class, called "Bloomers and Beyond." You should check it out! Anyway, I decided that I needed side pannier hoops, and I needed them badly. I started doing some research on how to make them, when I stumbled across The Dreamstress. Not only does this awesome lady sew a ton of historical garments, she blogs about them, and even has some where she goes step-by-step so that anyone can do it! Needless to say, I was super excited to discover her website. I became even more excited when I discovered that she had done a "Pannier-Along," so that others could make their own panniers! I'm not going to go step-by-step here, because the Dreamstress has already done such a good job of it, so I'll just post some of my pictures, and wish you all luck!

This is the image for the button, but the link is up above, because I struggle some with technology.
Channels for the boning in place!

I am so proud of myself for how nice these pleats look, because I got them right on my first try!


My reeds! These cost about $5 for each bundle, and I needed two bundles.
All cut to length, waiting to be shaped.

I put two buckets, one inside of the other, so properly open up the reeds. The bucket with the bag has water in it.

Keeping the reeds stretched open while soaking.

The reeds soaking, the bag closed with a rubber band.

Ready to take out!

Drying in their new shape...

...and ready to put in the channels!

All pleated and ready to go, just needs a waistband.

Done!



No comments:

Post a Comment