Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Day 22: Event

Sometimes, the projects that you plan for the longest get sewn in the last possible minute, and the shortest amount of time. That was certainly the case for my graduation dress, at the very least! I'd been planning what I wanted - something 1950's style, mostly green with gold accents - for most of my senior year, and I purchased the fabric and pattern (Simplicity 1459) around Christmas time. I searched diligently for gold accents, like a belt or shoes, but struggled to find anything that I liked. I also put off sewing the dress in order to work on other commissions and to focus on my studies.

Finally, with just a few days left until graduation, I cut out the pattern and got to work. The dress came together very quickly, and the pattern couldn't have been easier to follow, but unfortunately I was very tired the night I worked on it. I needed less than three hours to sew the dress, but because I was so tired by the end I made one small mistake. I didn't discover the mishap until I put the dress on the morning of graduation however, and tried to put my ID in the pocket I had added - I'd sewn the pocket in the wrong seam! Instead of the pocket being on my right hand side, I had put it in the middle front of the skirt! Thankfully, the skirt was full enough that it wasn't noticeable, and I was wearing my graduation gown for most of the morning anyway.



However, this serves as a good reminder - don't sew your clothing the night before an event, and if you absolutely must, please make sure that you're not loopy from lack of sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Foo foo pocket- a new trend in the making! Lol I've done worse, much, much worse!

    ReplyDelete