Tuesday, August 1, 2017

CoBloWriMo - Day 1!

Hello to all of you new readers out there! This month is CoBloWriMo, or Costume Blog Writing Month, and I am going to do my best to post something related to the topic every single day. Hopefully this will encourage me to sew more, share more, collaborate more, and write more, as well as make some new friends!
            Here’s a little bit about me: I graduated from William and Mary this May with a degree in history. I’ve been sewing since I was eight years old, and I’ve been sewing historical clothing for the last ten years (since I was twelve). I am delighted to have my dream job, working as an interpreter at Colonial Williamsburg! I’m happy to go to work every day, and I’m so excited to have a job that lets me talk about the coolest parts of history as well as sew!

A first day of work picture - my first day with a full-time, year-round job! (And just the one I wanted, too!)


Eight year old me, wearing my first sewing project ever!

Twenty one year old me, sewing a set of 18th century stays by hand at my dream job!


We celebrate the Fourth of July in style where I work! (I hand sewed every item of clothing and accessory that I'm wearing here)

Of course, I had to graduate first...

...so I embroidered the oldest academic building in North America onto my grad cap. It's also the place where I got my start giving historical tours! I'll always love the Wren Building.



Finally, I needed a picture of myself with TJ on graduation day, especially because I made my dress the night before!


            I also love cats, like many of my fellow seamstresses seem to. Although I don’t currently live with any in Virginia, my parents have two cats at home in Pennsylvania, and you might just see them featured in some of my posts, since they are my loyal companions when I sew at home with my parents.

Dusty Rose

Tigger

            Most of the projects I feature this month will be hand-sewn, 18th century clothing items, although there will be a few modern things sprinkled in. Hopefully you all enjoy getting to see a part of my sewing life, and if you want to join in, you can do so by following the instructions here. Happy sewing, and I look forward to getting to know some more of you over the course of the next month!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CoBloWriMo/?multi_permalinks=472900656395298&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1501555418566566

No comments:

Post a Comment