Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 7: Made for Someone Else

I finally had the opportunity to sew gowns for two young girls!

For a few years now I have told everyone with children back in my hometown that I would sew their children colonial outfits if they ever came to visit Colonial Williamsburg. That finally came to fruition at the end of June, when I received a text message telling me I would have visitors by the end of the week! I quickly got the sizes for the two girls, and then immediately went shopping. I found two great printed cottons in colors that I knew the girls would love, and patterns that were extremely close to some seen on extant garments from the period.

I used the Mill Farm Child's Gown pattern as my base, although I made a few very slight alterations. The gowns came together very quickly - I used my sewing machine, but both dresses from start to finish took less than a total of 4 hours!



It was great to see how happy my young friends were with their new dresses once they arrived in town, and they told me they had so much fun exploring Colonial Williamsburg dressed like the wonderful young ladies that they are.



So, as a reminder to any of my friends with young children: I will gladly sew 18th century clothing for any youngsters who are coming into town! (And for those only young at heart, I'll sew for you too, just let me know when!)



As always, if you have any questions about any projects, want more clarification or tutorials, are interested in commissioning an outfit/accessories, or simply want to talk sewing with me, please feel free to comment below, or send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment